Jayalalithaa Health Treatment Updates: The Tamil Nadu CM “AMMA” is being treated by Apollo Experts. Apollo Doctors said that She is on Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) machine, a heart assist device that helps cardiac and respiratory functions.
In the case of Jayalalithaa, the Apollo hospital Experts said, “She is on ExtraCorporeal Membrane Oxygenation machine, a heart assist device and is being treated by a team of expert doctors and critical care specialists. Dr Richard Beale from London has also been consulted and he has concurred with the line of treatment by our cardiologists & Experts.
Now here you have to know what is ECMO & what is Does?
- ECMO is a life-support heart-lung “bypass” machine that takes over the workload of the heart and lungs to rescue cardiac arrest patients not responding to conventional treatment.
- The ECMO or Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation device is a life support system that helps provide oxygen to the body when the patient’s lungs or heart are unable to do so. Worldwide, it gives patients a 50-50 chance, says renowned cardiologist Naresh Trehan.
- ECMO is used as a life support system in some patients who suffer a cardiac arrest — it is used as a rescue therapy when the patient is found to be unresponsive to conventional cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) measures
- ECMO is opted for when it can be rapidly implemented and where the doctors believe that the suspected cause of the cardiac arrest is potentially reversible.
- “Extracorporeal” refers to blood circulating outside of the body, and “membrane oxygenation” refers to the mechanical lungs that remove the carbon dioxide and put oxygen into the blood.
- The device, used when the patient doesn’t respond to any other treatment, works by draining blood from a vein and connecting it to an oxygenator machine. This allows the blood to bypass the heart and lungs.
- ECMO is done to revive a patient, depending on the condition of the patient suffering cardiac arrest.
- Again, at least for seven days the patient can be put on ECMO it seems
- After that there is a possibility of patient occurring infection out of the machine
Check here Latest updates of Jayalalithaa’s Health Conditions: Regular Health Bulletin on Tamil Nadu CMRelated Content: